Most of the animal foods, spicy and fatty foods are heavy as it takes our digestive system more time to break these foods. These foods may result upset your stomach. If you are suffering from chronic and recurring digestive disorders like heartburn, indigestion, diarrhea, vomiting, gastric reflux, it is the time to give your stomach rest and try foods that are easy to digest to ease the symptoms of indigestion and bring your digestive system back on track . In this article, we will discuss the foods that are easy to digest.
15 Easily Digestible Foods:
- Yogurt- Although a dairy product presence of probiotics in curd or yogurt makes it easy to digest food. Probiotics are good bacteria that promote healthy digestion. On other hand curd is the best substitute of milk and a rich source of calcium and phosphorus. Lactase enzyme present in the yogurt break down the lactose present in dairy products and thus do not cause any digestive issue.
- White Rice- White rice is easy to digest because it is the simplest form of carbohydrates. Brown Rice is also good for digestion and a source of complex carbohydrate and fiber.
- Banana- Banana contains enzymes that assist the digestive system to process other foods. Banana is a binding food and highly recommended first in cases of stomach flu. It contains enzyme pectin that eases diarrhea. Banana is rich in potassium and Vitamin C and also strengthens the lining of the stomach. Do not cook banana as cooked banana is hard to digest.
- Avocados- Avocado is very easy to digest as they can be quickly broken first in our mouth and then in our guts. Besides this avocado is a rich source of healthy fats potassium and fibers. You may mash avocados with guacamole to make it easier to digest.
- Vegetables- Spinach, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce leaves, bottle gourd, beans, pumpkins, beets, carrots, Alfa-Alfa sprouts and other green leafy vegetables are not the only source of vitamins and minerals, but also promotes the production of enzymes that helps the digestive system to flush out toxins and undigested foods.
- Burnt toast- Toast contains simple carbohydrates that are easy to digest. Also, burnt toast has property to soak toxins. You can butter up the toast with low-fat butter. Avoid margarine as they contain trans fats.
- Nuts- Nuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and are easy to digest. You may have a handful of almonds and walnuts to boost your digestive system.
- Saltine crackers- These potassium rich crackers are easy to digest as well as soothes the stomach.
- Sauerkraut- It is a fermented cabbage and like other fermented foods is easy to digest. It also contains good lactic acid producing bacteria that promote digestion and aids the breakdown of other foods.
- Chicken breast- Thoroughly cooked Chicken breast is not only easy to digest, but also a rich source of protein. Chicken lacks in fiber so it is better to consume it with vegetables and whole grains.
- Salmon- Salmon is a rich source of protein as well as Omega-3 fatty acids. You may eat this low-cholesterol and low-fat fish with steamed vegetables to aid digestion.
- Oatmeal- Oatmeal is rich in fiber and the best food to start your day with. Slow cooked oatmeal is easy to digest as well as boosts energy.
- Non-citrus fruits- fruits like watermelon, peaches, mango, apricots, cranberries are not only easy to digest, but also keeps the body hydrated and contains enzymes that promote digestion. Prefer eating whole fruits over juices as it contains fibers and essential vitamin.
- Eggs- Egg is a complete diet rich in proteins, good fats, minerals and vitamins. It gives the feeling of fullness. It is a great and easy to digest breakfast. Avoid eating fried egg and prefer scrambled or boiled eggs.
- Low fiber, carbohydrate- It is not easy to digest fibers and may cause diarrhea and bloat of the stomach. High fiber diet should be avoided in the case of stomach upset. Carbohydrates other than white rice, oats and salted crackers that are considered easy to digest are cornmeal, White flour, Porridge, and bagels.
Some Tips to ease Digestion-
- Avoid fatty foods and processed foods.
- Eat your food slowly and properly chew your food.
- Eat small meals at small intervals.
- Drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water every day.
- Do not lie down after eating.
- Do not exercise just after eating.
- Never skip your breakfast.
Even if you are not suffering from any digestive disorder give a break to your regular heavy meal and skin to easy to digest food for few days to promote healthy digestion.