Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding is also known as menorrhagia. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance and almost witnessed by 20 percent of women before menopause. It may also occur due to fibroids, pelvic inflammatory diseases, thyroid disorders, endometriosis, polyps, abnormalities of the uterus, stress or uterine tumors.
Heavy bleeding can be treated naturally by home remedies. Discussed below are few home remedies to stop heavy menstrual bleeding:
- Cinnamon- Take a cup of boiling water and steep a cinnamon stick in it for 15 minutes and then drink this preparation. You can also have 3 to 4 drops of cinnamon bark tincture.
- Tamarind- Take 9 to 10 tamarind pieces and 5 to 6 dry plums and soak them overnight in 500ml water. In the morning grind, the seeds and add 4 -5 teaspoon honey to it. Mix the ingredients properly and drink it for 5 days. This is a very effective home remedy to stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Mustard seeds to stop heavy menstrual bleeding- Take about 2 grams of mustard seeds and grind It. Now take fine mustard seeds powder with 1 cup milk daily 2 times a day.
- Coriander seeds- Take 200 ml water in a container and add 2 tablespoon coriander seeds to it. Boil it till the water reduces to half of the quantity taken. Cool the preparation and drink it 3 to 4 times a day.
- Thyme tea- Take 10 grams Thyme leaves and add it to 1 cup of boiling water to steep for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add ice cubes to Thyme tea and drink it to stop heavy menstruation bleeding.
- Orange juice and lemon juice- Add a few drops of lemon juice to a glass of orange juice. Drink this preparation 3 to 4 times a day. Lemon and orange are rich in vitamin C that helps to stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Licorice- Peel licorice and crush it to form a fine powder. Take this powder along with water 3 times for about 5 days to arrest bleeding.
- Radish- Crush 1 or 2 radish to form a paste. Add a little water to it if needed. Take 1 cup of buttermilk and add the radish paste to it. Drink this regularly to stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Pumpkin to stop heavy menstrual bleeding- With the help of a knife, take the pulp of pumpkin out and leave it to dry. After some time grind the dry pulp. Add this to the yogurt along with sugar to add taste to it. You can also have this grounded dry pumpkin pulp along with buttermilk.
- Bamboo leaf- This is an excellent remedy to stop heavy menstrual bleeding naturally. Take bamboo leaf decoction 2 times a day to arrest heavy bleeding.
- Food rich in magnesium to stop heavy menstrual bleeding- Watermelon. Flax seeds, pumpkin, oats, radish and squash, sesame seeds and cocoa are rich in magnesium and arrests menstrual bleeding.
- Rough Chaff- Take about 20 grams of rough chaff and soak it in 300 ml of water. Drink the infusion prepared two times a day to arrest bleeding.
- Papaya- Papaya contains papain that regulates the blood flow. A woman suffering from menstrual irregularities and heavy menstrual bleeding should have one bowl of papaya daily.
- Fennel- Take one spoon of fennel seeds and crush it to fine powder. Steep this powder in a glass of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drink this preparation when hot to stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Ashoka tree bark- Take 200 grams of Ashoka bark powder and boil it in 200 ml of water. Till the water level reduces to 50 ml. Now add 50 ml milk and again boil the quantity half. Strain this solution with the help of a cheesecloth and cool down the preparation. Drink 20 to 30 ml of this preparation daily in the morning to stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Mango bark- Take 10 ml of liquid extract of the mango bark and add it to 130 ml water. Drink 1 teaspoon of this solution every hour to stop the heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Chamomile tea- Add few chamomile leaves to a cup of boiling water and steep for 15 minutes. Now strain the solution and drink it to ease cramps and arrest menstrual bleeding.
- Aloe Vera- If you suffer from regular menstrual irregularities and heavy bleeding during menses drink Aloe Vera juice regularly to ease the symptoms.
- Banana flower to stop menstrual bleeding- Banana flower increases the level of the progesterone hormone. In the morning, take the banana flower with curd to reduce heavy bleeding.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids- flaxseeds, fish, seafoods, olive oil, Walnuts and almond are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that stop heavy menstrual bleeding.
Above mentioned home remedies are very effective to stop the heavy menstrual bleeding but in case heavy menses last for more than 7 days or you notice abnormal bleeding, thick clots or heavy bleeding accompanies vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, please consult your doctor. Also, if heavy menstrual bleeding is seen in consecutive periods see your doctor.
Dr. Ritu Kumari Gupta: Professionally a homeopathic doctor and a dietician Dr. Ritu Kumari Gupta is passionate about writing health and parenting blogs. She believes in holistic approach towards health and well being.