Amazing Benefits of Giloy
Tinospora cordifolia, which is commonly known as Heart-leaved moonseed, and giloy, belongs to the family of Menispermaceae indigenous is a herbaceous vine grows in the tropical areas of Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka.
- Menispermaceae is a genetically diverse group. It is large, deciduous climbing shrub with greenish-yellow flowers. Its flowers are found at higher altitudes.
- The male flowers of racemose panicles are found in clusters whereas female flowers are solitary.
- The flowering season expands from Summers to winters.
Active compounds of Giloy plant
The active components derived from this plant are alkaloids, steroids, diterpenoid lactone, aliphatics, and glycosides. These active components are isolated from the different parts of the giloy plant which includes root, stem, and whole plant.
Benefits of Giloy
In the recent times, this plant has gained a lot of popularity among researchers across the globe because of its medicinal properties which include anti-diabetic, anti-periodic, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, antioxidant, anti-allergic, anti-stress, antiepileptic, anti-malarial, hepatoprotective, immunomodulatory and anti-neoplastic activities.
- Tinospora cordifolia active compounds include 11-hydroxymustakone, N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, N-formyl annonain, tinocordiside, and syringin are reported to have potential immunomodulatory cytotoxic effects.
- These active components are reported to boost the phagocytic activity of macrophages.
- They produce reactive oxygen species (ROS) in human neutrophil cells.
- They enhance nitric oxide production by stimulation of splenocytes and macrophages which indicates anti-tumour effects.
- Its aqueous extracts have been reported to influence the cytokinesis production, mitogenicity, stimulation and immune effector cells.
- Giloy dry stem crude extracts with a polyclonal B cell mitogen are reported to enhance the immune response.
- They are also synergistic effects of compounds in the immunomodulatory activity.
- Giloy stem is widely used as a therapy of diabetes by regulating blood glucose levels in Indian traditional medicine.
- It mediates its anti-diabetic potential through mitigating oxidative stress which promotes insulin secretion.
- It also inhibits gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis which regulates blood glucose.
- Alkaloids, tannins, cardiac glycosides, steroids are major phytoconstituents which play an important anti-diabetic role.
- The root extract decreases the levels of glycosylated haemoglobin.
- They reduce GSH and vitamin C in the blood
- They also reduce urine glucose and lipids in the serum
- It significantly counterbalances diabetes in the liver by lowering the levels of malondialdehyde.
- Giloy extracts scavenge radicals generated during aflatoxicosis.
- It exhibits protective effects by lowering thiobarbituric acid reactive substances.
- Alkaloids such as tinosporin, choline, isocolumbin, and magnoflorine show protection aflatoxin induced nephrotoxicity.
- Anti-arthritic, anti-osteoporotic effects
- Giloy with ginger has been used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis treatment in olden days in Indian medicine.
- It shows effects on the proliferation, differentiation and mineralization of bone-like matrix on osteoblast model systems which helps in an anti-osteoporotic agent.
- It stimulates the growth of osteoblasts while increasing the differentiation of cells into the osteoblastic lineage. It also increases the mineralization of bone-like matrix.
- Giloy extracts help in significantly increasing the thickness of joint cartilage.
Giloy helps in a significant reduction in eosinophil count, stimulation of B lymphocytes, macrophages and polymorphonuclear leukocytes which have great Anti-HIV effects.
- It shows radioprotective activity by an increase in body weight, testes-body weight ratio, tissue weight and tubular diameter.
- It inhibits the harmful effects of gamma radiation.
- Its active compounds help to reduce dark spots, pimples, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- It helps you to achieve flawless complexion which aspired by everyone.
How To Consume Giloy
Adult dose:– 1g/d is the required quantity of Giloy on a daily basis. It should not exceed 3g/day.
Children dose:– For children the dose should not exceed 250mg/day. It is not advisable for infants as it is not safe for the children below the age of five years.
Effective Form of Giloy:– The most effective form of Giloy is a powder or a concoction boiled in water.