There are some days when sleep is no were around the corner. Twisting and twirling, tossing and turning , staring at the ceiling, you lie in your bed trying catch some sleep before its time, again, to get working. The anxiety of sleeplessness may in itself feed on you, making it more difficult for you to relax and sleep. However, some have found certain weird or maybe even logical tricks to work for during their sleepless nights.
Here are Few Such Hacks to Help You Fall A Sleep
Human beings have a special bond with concept of reverse psychology, you tend to do the opposite of what you are asked to. The same trick can help you fall asleep. If you find it difficult to fall asleep, try to keep yourself awake. Tell yourself that you need to stay awake and it will help. Studies have also proven that this trick can alleviate excessive sleep anxiety. Sleep-onset insomniacs were found to fall asleep quicker and show less performance anxiety than people told to fall asleep with this paradoxical intentions.
When you lie sleepless, it is common for you to check the time and dread over the minutes ticking away to begin a new day . By this , you are actually putting pressure over yourself, increasing the stress . It is only going to make it more difficult for you fall asleep. Instead try hiding your clock or time piece or whichever source you keep checking time in.
Another psychological trick is to tell yourself you have to wake up in five minutes and do a lot of tasks, you mind finds this so exhausting that it chooses to relax and sleep.
Experts say that acupuncture helps with sleeping problems. Unfortunately, you cannot wake up an acupuncturist to run to you at bed time. Therefore there are few other tricks to help you with acupressure.
- As a quick fix, try lying on a sleep induction mat for about 10 to 20 minutes before you hit the sack. This will stimulate acupressure points up and down your back to ease your body into a deep relaxation state.
- Apply gentle pressure on the depression between your eye brows, right above your nose for a minute or so.
- Press the slight depression on the top of your foot, between your first and second toe, until you start to feel a dull ache.
- Find the one third distance of your foot, from the tip of your toe and massage the sole of your foot for few minutes to help to gain some sleep.
- Push your thumps up on the bone at the top of your eye socket on both sides. This will give you a dull pressure calming you down to sleep.
- Gently massage your ears for a minute.
When it comes to tricks to help you fall asleep , there are many temperature related tricks that may help to induce some sleep. Here’s a few among them.
Take a warm shower an hour before you go to sleep. Warming up your body daily with this warm shower will help your body temperature to drop precipitously when you enter into the cool air of your bedroom. It slows your metabolism faster and prepares your body for bed.
Heated eye-masks available at drugstores help you relax and sink you into sleeping peacefully. It is a common technique used in Japan for at-work breaks and naps.
Warm feet and hands are best to induce sleep. Keep your feet warn to shift blood flow from your core to your extremities that will help cool down your body .
Immersing your face in very cold water for 30 minutes will trigger an involuntary phenomenon which lowers your heart rate and blood pressure. This will keep your anxiety and stress at bay and hence relax your nervous system to sleep.
Engage Your Brain
- To catch sleep faster, it is good to engage your brain in small activities which can be doen staying away from TV or gadget screens.
- Close your eyes and picture yourself at your favourite place, with a soothing atmosphere. This will help you take your mind off your worries and relax yourself to fall asleep.
- A little weirder trick would be to count back a slightly difficult numerical table when you find it hard to sleep. For instance, count back from 300 by threes. It becomes complicated and boring that your brain chooses to sleep.
- Take 10 minutes off and try reading a book or solving a puzzle.
These are few tried and tested ways to help you doze off peacefully whenever you struggle to get the load of your head and sleep. Try practicing them, you will definitely feel the change. If your system gets tired of the same techniques , go for a different method.