The hip is a ball and socket joint that appends the leg to the middle of the body. In the hip joint, the head of the femur (thighbone) swivels inside the hip bone socket, the socket, made up of pelvic bones. While numerous reasons for hip agony can emerge from the joint itself, there are various structures encompassing the hip that can likewise be the wellspring of torment.
The injury is frequently the reason for hip torment, however, any wellspring of aggravation may bring about torment in the hip zone. Torment is one of the side effects of irritation, alongside swelling, warmth, and redness; together these are signs and indications that an issue may exist.
Signs And Symptoms Of Hip Pain
Generally hip pain occurs in the elderly people and it can be due to majority of reasons and the exact cause of the hip pain cannot be described until the diagnosis is made. The most common symptoms of hip pain are:
- Groin pain which later develops in the head of the trochanter and also extends to the posterior buttocks.
- Twisting and improper exercise results in trauma to the hips.
- Three-dimensional pain in the hip region.
- Pain in the sciatic nerve of the lower back.
- Cancer of the bones.
Causes Of Hip Pain
Hip pain is the trauma to the ball and socket joint it can be due to trauma caused due to an injury or non-traumatic hip pain which is not due to injury.
Causes Of Traumatic Hip Pain
Fracture of the ball and socket joint that might occur due to falling on the hip and it is the major cause of pain in older people. The fracture occurs due to improper balance, age, and osteoporosis. This hip fracture cause severe pain in the hips even after the problem of fracture resolves.
Bruises occur when there is a trauma to the hip joint and it occurs when the muscles of the hip sprain or strain without any breakage of the hip bone. Sprains occur due to damage and inflammation of tendons while strain occur due to damage or injury to the cartilage. The damage to the tendons and cartilage does not allow hip joint to function properly.
- Injuries due to overuse of the hip joints and muscles.
- Hip bursitis is a condition where there is an inflammation of the bursa of trochanter of a hip joint.
- Causes Of NonTraumatic Hip Pain
- Arthritis- Osteoarthritis rheumatoid arthritis,ankylosing spondylitis,arthritis associated Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Anaemia- sickle cell disease which results in swelling of joints of hip.
- Inflammation of Hip due to viral or bacterial infections Lyme disease, and infections due to food poisoning.
- Fibromyalgia is a condition in which there are pain and stiffness in the muscles of the Hip.
- Perthes disease is a disease which affects the head of the femoral bone.
- Necrosis occurs due to prolonged usage of unnecessary medications.
- Some other conditions
- Hernia which causes disruption of abdominal wall and it also occurs in femora as Femoral Hernias.
- Inflammation of the peripheral nerves causes Hip Pain.
When To Seek Medical Help For Hip Pain
- If there is difficulty in performing daily activities like walking or lifting then the patient should seek medical care.
- If there is no motion or no movement and need help for movement then they should go for emergency help.
- In the event that there is the loss of entrail or bladder work, this may flag that the agony is returning from the and a genuine crisis called cauda equina disorder may exist. Restorative consideration ought to be gotten to eminently.
- In infants, if limping is seen then they should seek the emergency help of medical professional.
Diagnostic Test For Hip Pain
Hip torment is a nonspecific grumbling that requires the medicinal services proficient to locate the hidden cause of the numerous potential wounds or ailments. The way to deal with the analysis of hip agony requires a receptive outlook in light of the fact that the wellspring of injury or the reason for ailment may not be promptly clear.
- X-ray imaging is done to know fractures and any other injury to the Hip joint.
- Blood Tests are also performed to evaluate WBC Count, ESR, and CRP.
- Treatment For Hip Pain
- They are a variety of treatment options for hip pain depending upon the cause of the pain.
- Pharmacologic treatment
- Medications for the hip pain are provided based upon the cause of the hip pain and it helps in providing quick relief from the pain.
- Over the counter medication like ibugesic, acetaminophen, naproxen provides relief from discomfort and pain.
- Prescription medications are prescribed based on the cause of the Hip Pain like short courses of narcotic and nonnarcotics are prescribed.
- Sometimes they also need to consider surgery like Hip replacement surgery or arthroscopy.
Home Remedies For Hip Pain
- Use of Crutches, a cane may be preferred while walking or standing.
- Proper rest is to be done to provide relief from the hip pain.
- Use packs on the hip region which reduces inflammation and also reduces pain with regular usage.
- Perform exercise like or slow walking.
- Avoid running, heavy weight lifting and also standing for too long.